Friars David Kohut and Pat McCloskey are doing their part to help heal Mother Earth. At St. Clare Friary in Cincinnati, they’ve gone beyond basic recycling to make environmental awareness part of their everyday lives.
Challenged at last year’s Provincial Chapter to adopt at least two environmentally friendly practices for the next three years, they committed to a list of measures that includes:
• Putting electronic appliances on a power strip and turning the strip off when not in use.
• Putting lights in outdoor spaces and hallways that are not often used on a motion sensor.
• Giving up bottled water.
• Ending the use of pesticides, herbicides or any other toxic chemicals on lawns, flowers or vegetables.
• Purchasing more organic food and buying from local farmers when possible.
• Saving on gas by driving less, combining trips and driving the speed limit or lower.